Truck Scales or Weighbridges
Truck Scales / Weighbridges
ZF offer range of Truck Scales / Weighbridges solutions that are helping to monitor and control the movement of bulk materials across industry, in manufacturing, extraction, landfill and recycling applications.
Over the last 35+ years, Our Partners “Thames Side & Rinstrum” has specifically developed a range of load cells and instrumentation/electronics for accurate, commercial (trade) weighing of vehicles driving onto truck Scales / weighbridges.
Truck Scale Information
A Truck Scales / Weighbridges, is essentially a large platform scale that is used to weigh an entire vehicle, for the purposes of reading the weight of the vehicle before it is filled with material, or after it is emptied. Often a truck scale is a legal-for-trade approved scale used to issue tickets that will be used for commercial (invoicing) purposes. Commercial truck scales must be calibrated by a certified company, using verified and traceable measuring equipment. Therefore truck scale load cells usually need to be approved according to an organisation such as OIML or NTEP.
For permanent or semi-permanent Truck Scales / Weighbridges the weight readings are usually recorded with equipment located in a nearby hut or office. Most weighbridges are now linked to a PC that runs truck scale software – this controls barriers, traffic lights, RFID card readers, enables the printing of tickets and provides reporting features.
Truck Scale Types
There are various different types of Truck Scales / Weighbridges around the world, with each region tending to favour a particular type. The most common 3 types have from 4-16 load cells and of maximum length 18 or 36 metres, as follows:
- Traditional Fabricated Steel; high or low profile design
- Pre Stressed, Pre Cast Concrete; low profile design; modular
- Poured on Site Concrete; single span or modular steel frame with concrete infill
Our Solution: T34 Compression Rocker Column Load Cell
Thames Side Sensors is a market leader in the design and manufacture of industrial Truck Scales / Weighbridges load cells, which were specifically designed for such applications. Thames Side’s trusted and dependable model T34 compression rocker column load cell is the ideal solution for truck scale installations and more than 300,000 units of this design have been installed worldwide in a variety of different environments – a figure that shows universal acceptance by the international Truck Scales / Weighbridges marketplace.
Typical problems encountered with Truck Scales / Weighbridges:
- Pit mounted Truck Scales / Weighbridges can be affected by rain, flooding, dirt and rodents etc. Installation of a truck scale/weighbridge near lowered areas of road or ground should be avoided – this prevents rainwater or floodwater running down into the pit area, which would cause the load cells to be submerged.
- Additionally, as for all multi-cell platform scales a Truck Scales / Weighbridges system must output the same value no matter where the weight is positioned on the scale. For example, if a truck carrying liquid drives onto the scale and stops suddenly, the centre of gravity of the truck will be moving around for some time. Waiting for the centre of gravity to stabilise is not an option; productivity would be seriously degraded in such circumstances. If the sensitivity values of the load cells were all significantly different, the weight reading would change depending on where the centre of gravity of the truck was located. The solution: choose load cells that have been pre-corner adjustment optimised during their manufacture and calibrated in mV/V/Ohm to provide matched current outputs. This allows for much faster commissioning of the truck scale/weighbridge because minimal (or no) corner adjustment is required. Thames Side’s Model T34 compression rocker column load cell is pre-corner adjustment optimised @ ±0.05% by calibration in mV/V/Ohm.
Digital Load Cells
An even better solution is to use digital load cells. The Model T34D digital compression rocker column load cell provides the following advantages and benefits over the standard (analogue) T34 load cell:
- Higher resolution (up to 1,000,000 steps from zero to full scale) – resuting in a more precise truck scale
- Intelligent, error-free compensation for each individual load cell, with simpler and faster corner adjustment – which saves time during troubleshooting
- Simpler and faster maintenance with continuous, individual self-diagnosis
- Remote diagnostics via modem using direct PC connection (with the Matrix 2 weight controller) – therefore the site does not have to be visited to determine if there is a load cell fault
- Greater EMC protection against interference (digital signal transmission) – meaning less signal error
- Direct PC connection via RS485 bus and RS232 converter, up to 1200 metres away – meaning that the control room does not need to be close to the truck scale
- Internal signal filtering for each load cell, resulting in a more stable output
Indicator Moder R400
Truck weighing is handled by indicators in both the R400 series. The R400 series indicators feature a multi-line display and handle up to 16x350ohm loadcells. The R400 Series K404 is specific ically for truck weighing applications.
R400 Series K404 Application Software
The K404 is designed specifically for truck weighing. It allows for a range of operational scenarios all in one setup, from weigh-in/weigh-out to stored truck ids. The dedicated Truck ID button and Print button simplify the operator interface. Additionally the alpha-numeric keypad allows for easy entry of tare weight and Truck IDs. With 250 Truck IDs available it is suitable for applications with truck fleets of up to 250.
The following R400 series features make it ideal for the application:
- Support for up to 16 x 350 ohm, easily handling a typical 8 load cell bridge.
- Built-in communications ports – for connection to printer and remote display.
- Isolated communication module.
- Alibi (data storage device DSD) module for traceability.
- All accessory modules, including the power supply, can be swapped without recalibration.
- Indicator configuration and setup can be reused and easily uploaded using the opto-link on the front panel.
- Pre-calibration using mV/V saving time on full calibration.
We able to supply truck scale calibration services if you wish to have your system calibrated or certified. Please contact us.
Contact ZF Associates Co. now to discuss your requirements for load cells, weight controllers and electronic accessories for use in truck scales/weighbridges.
We have the experience to provide expert guidance.
The following files are available for download for the Truck Scales / Weighbridges. Ensure you select the correct documentation for your unit’s software version. Check back regularly for software and other updates.
To download files, please click on a filename below.